Friday, July 16, 2010

Thursday, July 8th: Prepare to Meet Your Mudder

Another time I faced a Tough Mudder challenge--I was the first member of TMHQ
to test out the fire obstacle. But I didn't get a raise. Weird!



Hello friends. I'm Sophie. You may think you know me from customer service. You may actually know me from customer service. Maybe I helped your mom get a spectator ticket. Maybe I helped you transfer your registration from Saturday Tri-State to Sunday Tri-State. Maybe I have seen a lot of awkward photos that you keep sending, hoping to be in the Tough Mudder Universe. (You know who you are.)

But for those of you not familiar with me, I'm the youngest member of Tough Mudder Head Quarters, and as such, the office guinea pig. (At the Bear Creek dry run, I was the one with a camera strapped to my head with duct-tape and a fuzzy ear warmer.) So I will be training for the next three months to run in the Norcal event. I'll be keeping this blog to update you on my training, and maybe some of my feelings. Just kidding. At Tough Mudder we don't have feelings, because those weigh you down and make you run slower.

Training starts tomorrow morning, bright and early in Central Park: hill training with Lindsay, TMHQ's resident marathoner. She even did the race where you run up the Empire State Building. She's for real. I also want to mention Baker and Sean, who helped out a lot with this plan. Baker and I went to college together, where he played lacrosse. He's a pretty serious runner these days now that he's out of school and an "adult," but he didn't exactly get it together to sign up for Bear Creek in time. (Sound familiar?) Sean is a member of E7, one of TMHQ's (my) favorite Tough Mudder teams. They were in the elite start group at Bear Creek, and Sean's pretty much a machine.

Currently, I run in Central Park and go to spinning class at the gym a few times a week. Growing up, I rode horses, and in college I played rugby. My other favorite cardio is shopping for shoes and soft white t-shirts. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous about what's going to happen on October 9th, but I'm feeling positive right now. Maybe it's the dogfish.

SPC

4 comments:

  1. Some one said you need advice. OK so check out your closest CrossFit Affiliate, do crossfit for 3 months and you will be fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. "At Tough Mudder we don't have feelings, because those weigh you down and make you run slower."

    best. quote. ever.
    officially stealing this nugget of wisdom as my status on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - My Names is Sean Rogers- I was one of the first people to sign up for the original mudder and even participated in the first Q&A session Sophie held. I am the team captain for Team E7 as well. With all that said haha, i agree with what Anonymous said. If you can maintain cross fit 3 times a week with jobs inbetween and some lifting you will be more then fine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean's the man. Listen to everything he says about training and life in general.

    ReplyDelete