Friday, July 30, 2010

Combo Number Gross: Running & Texas Feasts

Nolan and I have spent the week in Austin working on the Texas event. It has been delicious. But I’m feeling the burn—not the good kind in your biceps from pumping iron with Sean. The bad kind in your stomach and heart from pumping your body full of breakfast tacos and pit BBQ.

When I arrived, I was full of dreams and illusions. I thought I could work and work out. I was so sure I wouldn't let being on the road stop me from working out. I even bragged to friend of TMHQ Jason GoRuck (I’m pretty sure he has a real last name, but results are unclear.) I was all Jason, I can have it all! I can run on the hotel treadmill while transferring Tri-State registrations from Saturday to Sunday and while eating a burrito!!!!

I did not run while holding a burrito. But it's gotten pretty close, since there are few moments here when I am not consuming food.


Can it be only a week ago that I was exposed to the joys of eating all you can eat in Texas?

I was so young back then. So naive.

I started out strong. I ran on the treadmill on Monday, and I lifted on Tuesday. Then Wednesday rolled along, and I woke up feeling not so great. Did you know you can be hungover from too many fajitas?

But Thursday night, I didn't want to let myself continue down this road. I wasn't ready to find out what rock-bottom was. I could just see myself waking up in some hotel room surrounded by old, half eaten bacon egg and cheese taquitos. So I put down the new bacon egg and cheese taquito and decided to go for a run.

Also, it was about 80 kajillion degrees out. It was the absolute worst. I felt so hot and full of cheese that all I could think was I really wish that alligator would eat me and put me out of my misery.

Then all I could think was OMG AN ALLIGATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!



I was very close to this alligator.


That three minute panicked, frenzied run away from the alligator was probably the real physical challenge of that entire workout.

I think I'll focus on training once I get back to New York. Right now I'll probably burn off all this Texas food if I just sit here, watching Law and Order SVU, breathing, and not eating cheese.


4 comments:

  1. I just started reading your blog. Great stuff! nothing like
    all you can cram down your pie-hole Texas BBQ. Wish SoCal
    had something like that. I will continue to read on, hoping
    that the ToughMudder crew will finally get a venue and a date
    for the SoCal run. Until then, keep training. Keep eating. And
    keep inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Dates will be posted soon, have no fear. I'm planning on some sprints after work at the track near my house. It might be kind of sketchy at night, so if you don't see any updates for a while send someone to the downtown track by the East River.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little late, but welcome to Texas. Hot as hell and enough food to make you wish that you were there by the time you realize how much training you've got to do to work it off. We'll see ya'll at the Austin Tough Mudder in February.

    ReplyDelete